Recipe by Renee Cade
Yields: one 9-inch cake
300g Cream cheese, room temperature
45g Unsalted butter, melted
57- 63g Egg yolks (approximately 3 yolks)
11g Corn starch
22g TCHO Natural Cocoa Powder
95g Egg whites
- Let all ingredients come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 340oF and line 9-inch springform pan or cake pan with parchment (disc at the bottom and a strip along the sides).
- In a medium bowl, add warm melted butter to cream cheese, whisk until smooth and set aside.
- In another heat-safe bowl, whisk yolks, sugar, corn starch, and cocoa powder.
- Warm milk and add to the yolk mixture. Whisk the yolk mixture over a bain marie (double boiler) to thicken. Mixture should resemble a loose pastry cream.
- Add the warm yolk mixture to the cream cheese mixture and whisk until the batter is shiny.
- Whip egg whites and add the second set of sugar to make a meringue. Whip meringue until medium to stiff peaks. You can use a hand or stand mixer here to speed up the process!
- Gently, fold in the meringue into the cream cheese mixture in four additions.
- Pour batter into a parchment lined pan and level the batter with a bowl scraper or offset spatula.
- Bake in a water bath at 340oF for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 320oF for another 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and let the residual heat bake the cheesecake for another 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly at room temperature and then place in refrigerator (still in the pan) for a few hours to set.
- Unmold when ready to serve. Garnish with your favorite cheesecake toppings.
- Dig in!