Recipe by Renee Cade
Yields one half sheet pan
1 lb. 5 oz. sugar
9 oz. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
7 oz. TCHO Natural Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T baking soda
12 oz. buttermilk
6 oz. butter
1.5 oz. coffee, warm
1 lb. 12 oz. TCHO Pro 68% Dark Chocolate Discs, chopped
40 oz. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Spray half sheet pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Sift together sugar, flour, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer, whisk together butter, eggs, and warm coffee.
- Add in buttermilk.
- Add in dry ingredients in thirds, mixing until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
- Level the top of the cake with a serrated knife and invert over a cutting board with parchment. Divide into 3 equal layers.
- Heat cream to 190oF and pour over chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Let sit for a couple minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Whisk to emulsify and let cool at room temperature.
- Starting with the bottom layer of cake, pipe or spread ganache in a 1/4-inch layer. Top with the second layer of cake and repeat.
- Once all three layers are complete, frost cake with a crumb coat (a thin layer of frosting around the entire outside of the cake to keep crumbs from getting into your final coat of frosting) and chill until set.
- Frost your final outer layer of frosting on the top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with a topping of your choice and enjoy!