...from Nathan Lyon
Yields 6 to 8 servings
8-ounces TCHO Pro “Mokaccino 43%” Milk Chocolate Discs
½ cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for prepping the pan
½ cup granulated sugar, divided
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
4 egg yolks
¾ cup whole milk
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Frangelico Liquor
4 large egg whites
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat the oven to 325oF.
2. Lightly butter an 8 x 2-inch round cake pan. Place a folded dish towel in bottom (middle) of a roasting pan (large enough to accommodate the cake pan). Place buttered cake pan inside roasting pan on top of the folded towel. Bring several quarts of water to boil for a water bath.
3. Melt the chocolate with the whipping cream and butter in a bain marie, stirring occasionally as it melts. Once melted, remove chocolate bowl from heat and set aside. (Be careful not to stir excessively as chocolate melts; the fat could separate.)
4. Place ¼ cup sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
5. Place egg yolks and milk in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
6. Add the yolk/milk mixture to the large bowl with the sugar/flour mixture and whisk to combine.
7. Slowly stream the melted chocolate mixture into the large bowl, whisking continuously, until fully combined. Add vanilla and Frangelico and whisk to combine again. Set bowl aside.
8. Whip the egg whites until just foamy. Add the remaining ¼ cup sugar to the whites and whip until stiff, glossy peaks form.
9. Add a third of the egg whites to the chocolate mixture and gently whisk until uniform in color. Repeat this process in two more batches.
10. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Carefully add the boiling water (making sure none splashes into the cake pan) to the roasting pan until it reaches (at least) halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
11. Carefully transfer roasting pan to the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
12. Remove roasting pan from the oven and let cake cool for 10 minutes in the water bath. Remove cake pan from roasting pan water bath and let cool completely before serving.
13. To serve, using a large spoon, spoon out the pudding cake onto plates, making sure you get all the layers – the bottom mouse-like layer, the middle pudding layer, and the top sponge – in each serving. Serve at room temperature or chilled with whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts.