Adapted from Gourmet Magazine, March 1997
3 ounces TCHO Unsweetened 100% Baking Chocolate, chopped
2 cups (12 ounces) TCHO Bittersweet 66% Dark Chocolate Discs, chopped to smaller bits
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons finely ground dark-roast coffee beans, such as Italian-roast
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts (chopped, and slightly toasted)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 2 large heavy baking sheets (or use parchment paper).
2. In a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt, 8 ounces of TCHO Chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat.
3. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs, sugar, and ground coffee on high speed until very thick and pale and mixture forms a ribbon when beaters are lifted, about 3 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt directly into the chocolate mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in remaining TCHO Chocolate pieces and walnuts.
4. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto baking sheets.
5. Bake in batches in middle of oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and cracked on top. Cool cookies in baking sheets 1 minute and transfer to racks to cool completely.