Recipe by Lexi Castagna
Yields one ½ sheet pan, 32 squares
2 cups butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups butter
1½ cups brown sugar
250g corn syrup
250g sweetened condensed milk
2 ½ cups TCHO Pro “Cacao 53%” Milk Chocolate Discs
3T coconut oil
Maldon Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350oF (325oF for convection ovens).
2. Grease and line a half baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a stand mixer, combine first butter quantity, sugar and flour. Beat until mixture is evenly crumbled. Press dough evenly into half sheet pan.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until evenly browned. Let cool.
5. In a large saucepan, combine second butter quantity, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. On medium heat, bring to a boil while stirring and scraping continuously with a rubber spatula. This mixture is easy to burn so keep an eye on it! Boil for five minutes until thick and caramelized. Smell that heavenly smell.
6. While hot, pour caramel mixture over the shortbread and spread evenly. Let cool.
7. Using a double boiler or lower power in the microwave, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Pour on top of caramel filling and spread evenly.
8. Sprinkle chocolate with Maldon sea salt.
9. Twiddle thumbs and wait in anticipation for chocolate to set. Cut to your desired sized bar. I usually go for a 2" x 2" square.
Helpful Hint: Pop your pan into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to firm up the chocolate before cutting.