Recipe by Alana Buckley
Yield: about 12 waffles
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 T cane sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, separated into whites + yolks
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 T canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup TCHO Chocolate Bittersweet 66% Baking Discs, divided
- Mix all of the dry ingredients: Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium size bowl.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the egg yolks, buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with electric beaters until stiff peaks form. Use a gentle hand when separating your whites from your yolks to keep the yolk intact. Even a drop of the yolk or butter/oil residue in your bowl can keep your whites from whipping up (which are key for the light, fluffy insides and crisped to perfection outsides of these waffles).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Add the beaten egg whites and carefully fold in them in with a spatula just until incorporated.
- Fold in ¾ cup of the chocolate chunks with just a couple of light stirs. Do NOT overmix, or the waffles will be dense and not airy and crispy.
- Preheat your waffle iron on medium-high (setting 3-4 if it goes up to 6). Lightly grease the waffle maker, if necessary. We used about 1/2 cup of batter per waffle with a cookie scoop to make less of a mess!
Serve the waffles hot right out of the waffle maker with your favorite toppings sprinkled on top! Enjoy!