Recipe by Alana Buckley
Yeild: four 4 oz. pots de crème
8 ounces TCHO 66% Dark Chocolate Baking Discs (bittersweet chocolate)
1½ cups heavy cream (or coconut milk)
3 T sugar (or your preferred sweetener)
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
extra chopped chocolate or crushed peppermint candy canes for garnish (optional)
- Heat the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan until the liquid has come to a simmer.
- Pour liquid over chocolate discs in a large heat proof bowl. Wait 20 seconds, then whisk until combined.
- Put the egg yolks in a heat proof bowl and whisk smooth. While whisking the eggs, carefully drizzle a tablespoon of warm chocolate mixture into the eggs. Continue to do this three or four times until the eggs have been tempered and are slightly warm.
- Whisk in the remaining chocolate in with the egg mixture and add the peppermint extract.
- Return the mixture back to the pan and heat while stirring until the liquid is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- If you have any lumps, pass the mixture through a sieve. Pour the chocolate into ramekins or cups and place them in the refrigerator for at least 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Top off the pots de creme with a dollop of whipped cream, chopped chocolate or crushed candy cane.
- Dig in!