...from Alise Inzerillo
Ice Cream Base
1 quart heavy cream
1 pint Half & Half
1.5 cups or 18 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup TCHO Roasted Cacao Nibs
Ice Cream Base
1. Combine heavy cream, half & half, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and nibs in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
3. Strain the nibs from the cream mixture. Set nibs to the side.
4. Combine egg yolks and remaining sugar in a heat-proof bowl. Whisk gently to combine.
5. Bring the cream to a boil, again.
6. Slowly pour only 1/3 of the hot cream into the yolk mixture, while whisking constantly.
7. Pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the cream, cook at medium heat to 170oF while stirring constantly.
8. When the mixture reaches 170oF, immediately pour through a strainer into a stainless steel bowl, set over an ice bath.
9. Add vanilla extract, stir.
10. Allow to cool to room temp, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
11. Pour cream mixture into ice cream maker, and begin churning!
1. Heat water, sugar and honey to a boil.
2. Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder.
3. Return to a boil, and then immediately remove from heat.
4. Add in the chocolate, stirring until completely melted.
5. Drizzle, dip or bathe in chocolate sauce.
Ice Cream Base - Step 7: Precise temperature is important, use thermometer if needed!
Ice Cream Base Step 10: If pressed for time, this step can be expedited — once cream mixture is cooled to room temperature, you can immediately begin churning. (Note, full flavor potential of this recipe may be compromised)