Recipe by Lexi Castagna
Yield: one 9” tart or four 4” tartlets
150g butter, cold and cut into small cubes
150g turbinado or brown sugar
150g all-purpose flour
100g almonds, finely chopped or a course almond meal
120g TCHO Bittersweet 66% Dark Chocolate Baking Discs
2.5g Maldon sea salt
8oz TCHO Bittersweet 66% Dark Chocolate Baking Discs
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (try one with a little more robust flavor!)
2T butter, room temperature
Maldon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325oF and line a baking sheet with of parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, combine turbinado, flour, and almonds.
- Cut in butter and mix on medium-low speed until the mixture is crumbly; roughly the size of peas.
- Evenly distribute mixture over baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. About every 10 minutes use an offset spatula to mix and break up crumble. This keeps the edges from getting too dark.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- While the crumble is cooling, melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave on half power, stirring every 30 seconds or so.
- In a clean stand mixer bowl, add the crumble, melted chocolate, and sea salt. Mix on low to combine.
- Immediately mold into lightly greased tart shell(s). Press firmly to compact. Crust should be about ¼ inch thick.
- Let set at room temperature.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt chocolate over a double boiler.
- Whisk in butter and olive oil until emulsified.
- Pour into prepared crusts, lightly tap to release air bubbles and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let set at room temperature and enjoy!