Dirty Chocolate Chai
Made by TCHO Pro Nathan Lyon
Triple-layered cheesecloth or nutmilk bag
Small mixing bowl
Blender or stick immersion blender
- Place cardamom, vanilla bean (the scraped seeds and the pod), cloves, cinnamon, ginger and tea bags in a triple-layered cheesecloth or nutmilk bag. If using cheesecloth, tie off with butchers twine to form a spice pouch.
- Add the milk, sugar and the bag of spices to a medium saucepan. Turn heat to medium-high and, stirring occasionally, bring liquid to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the milk is simmering, whisk to combine the boiling water, chocolate and espresso in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Remove spice bag from saucepan, straining out any liquid from the bag into the saucepan before discarding.
- Transfer liquid from the saucepan and the small mixing bowl to a blender and pulse to combine for 20 seconds, until frothy and delicious.
- Pour into mugs and bask in the glory of your double caffeinated chocolate beverage. Or chill it and pour over ice!