Chocolate Coffee Caramel Tart
Made by Pastry Chef of Ittoryu Gozu in San Francisco, CA
Mini Offset Spatula
Makes 3 Servings
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes, set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, salt, then rub the cold butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture starts to crumble into a ‘sandy-like’ texture.
- Place the shortbread crumbles onto a baking sheet and bake for about 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool, then break up the larger clumps with your hands until they are about the size of a pea.
- Melt the butter.
- In a large bowl, add the shortbread, almond flour, TCHO Super Powder, and powdered sugar.
- Pour the butter over the dry ingredients until the dry ingredients are completely coated with butter.
- Section off the dough into 3 equal parts and press the dough into four, 3-3/4 inch tart shells.
- Place your gelatin sheets in iced water enough to cover to bloom. Set aside.
- In a tall stainless steel pot, on low heat, stir together the sugar and water with a spatula until the sugar is completely melted. Then, remove your spatula, turn up the heat and cook until the mixture starts to bubble and turn a dark amber color.
- TCHO Pro Tip: For best results, once you have increased the temperature, do not use a utensil in the pot to prevent the sugar from crystalizing. You may gently swirl the caramel in the pot using the pot handle.
- Once the sugar is a dark amber color, turn off the heat and gently add the cream in 2-3 parts and whisk together.
- Remove the gelatin sheets from the cold water, squeezing out the excess water. Then, add the bloomed gelatin sheets to the pot and whisk until the caramel stops bubbling.
- Add softened butter, salt, and coffee extract and whisk together until smooth.
- Pour the caramel into a bowl then place in the refrigerator for about 8 hours to chill.
- Once the caramel is chilled, place the caramel into a mixer with a whisk attachment and whip until firm peaks.
- Scoop the caramel into a pastry bag and leave in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Place TCHO Choco Combo 68% into a large glass bowl. Set aside.
- In a tall pot, heat the cream and honey on medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate in 3 sections to melt the chocolate stirring in between. Pouring the cream over the chocolate slowly, prevents the chocolate from overheating.
- TCHO Pro Tip: Overheating the chocolate will cause the fat to separate.
- Add the butter and whisk together.
- Cut the tip off of the pastry bag and pipe a small layer of whipped caramel onto the base of the tart shell.
- Ladle the chocolate into the tart shell over the caramel until the tart shell is full.
- Add another layer of caramel on top of the ganache, piping in a zigzag pattern.
- Garnish with TCHO Crush This and Dark & Bitter 100% chocolate shavings for extra flavor and texture.
- TCHO Pro Tip: To shave the chocolate over the tart, you can use a zester. Gently move the chocolate back and forth over the blade (blade size up) until small chocolate shavings start to come out.
- Enjoy at room temperature!